Lens and Pens

Mindful musings and images from travels around the world and around the block

Sunday, July 01, 2007

I can do it myself!


One of the posters from the World War II era which is popular again features a Rosie the Riverter type woman in her work clothes, flexing her muscular arm. The caption is "We can do it!"
As a person who is not naturally gifted in things mechanical or muscular, nor one who really wants to even think about how things work - as long as they do when I turn a key or flip a switch, I've usually managed to avoid having anything to do with power tools. Even for lawn mowing, I preferred a push mower until moving to a place with a yard too big to manage that way with the time I had available for such an unrelenting chore. I am even less enthusiastic about equipment requiring gasoline so I bought an electric lawnmower.
I had little need for tools of my own, especially as long as I lived in a manse with its obligatory Building and Grounds Committee from the church. These guys - and they are almost always men - tend to be the handyman types who have lots of tools and gadgets and a need to use them. So as long as I was willing to ask for help, I could usually find someone to help with whatever repair or assembly or decorating project I had in mind.
On the other hand, I've always been one of those who dislikes being helped and will insist that I can manage on my own thank you very much. Even when I was married to a guy who prided himself on being Mr. Fixit, I decided it was ridiculous to wait and wait for him to do something that I could probably figure out how to do myself. I bought a Reader's Digest illustrated book of how to repair anything and gave it a try. And so I learned how to take apart the plumbing under the sink when the disposal was stopped up and deal with other household emergencies - if I had to.

Over the last few weeks of moving and getting settled into a new house, I've asked for help for a number of those assembly-repair-installing chores. Then I finally decided that there are a number of things I should - and could do myself - if I had a drill. So I took advantage of the Father's Day sales and found a cordless drill with an assortment of bits for a bargain price. Last Friday I put it to use, drilling holes in the wall to install two plant hangers and a curtain rod. Still have 3 curtain rods to go, but now think I have the hang of it. Besides that, now I can say, "I can do it myself!"

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home